"It is impossible to escape from Chingum's web, say it, impossible!"
"चिंगम के चंगुल से बचना यामपोस्सिब्ले, बोलेडॉ, यामपोस्सिब्ले!"
- Chingum's catchphrase in Hindi
"Chingum ke Changul se bachna yampossible, bole do yampossible!"
- Chingum's catchphrase in Romanticized Hindi
Chingum (also spelled Chingam) (Hindi: चिंगम) is a police inspector, and occasional referree. He believes that no criminal can escape from him. However, Chingum manages to catch criminals merely by luck with the help of Motu and Patlu. Chingum is a solicitous police inspector. He takes pride in the fact that no criminal can ever get away from him or 'escape his web'. A lethal combination of righteous and a hilarious character.
When he fires his gun in the air after saying his dialogue, coconuts fall from the top of his head and makes him fall on the ground. He drives a green motorbike and sometimes also drives a police jeep.
He is sometimes gets helped by his Constables, mainly Hera and Pheri. Even though he cannot catch criminals by himself, he is respected by the people of Furfuri Nagar. They call him "Chingum Sir". Motu and Patlu call him to do the opening ceremony of their various businesses but he refuses as he lands in trouble then. He also becomes the referee in important competitions. He is voiced by Saurav Chakraborty in Hindi & Naveen in Tamil.
His native place is Kerala where his father and mother has a house. (Episode Chingum hua Beghar - Indian Tour)
He was touring European countries such as Italy, France, UK, Switzerland, Germany, Russia, Albania, etc...
Nowadays he is Touring All over India. He is shown in Taj Mahal, Gateway of India, Tea estates of Assam, Kerala Backwaters, Hawa Mahal, Qutub Minar, Victoria Memorial, etc...
He is a tall thin man in his thirties. He wears a police uniform with stars and badges decorating it. He has a mustache that reaches a little below his jaw, and brown silky hair which reaches to his nape. He is sometimes seen chewing gum, thus giving his name. On his left wrist, he used to wear a blue bandana with white dots, though since the show’s recent redesign change, it was replaced with a Smart Watch GT08. It appears he may also be wearing a fitness tracker on his right wrist. In the new redesign, when Chingum is off travelling, he often wears a Hawaiian shirt with a light blue shirt and tie underneath. He also sports a different hairstyle.
Chingum is a friendly and helpful person who always tries his best to catch criminals but lands in trouble. His best friends are Motu and Patlu. Despite this, he can get strict when doing something for the law and will imprison his friends if he sees any evidence against them, which is usually put by John to frame them. He is very energetic and boastful. Chingum often likes to make dramatic entries to impress people. Chingum has a high sense of honor, as seen in Motu Patlu Aur Khazana Ki Race, when he salutes his jeep after it sinks in the water.
I will do whatever you say! - Chingum to his Mother
Chingum is shown to love his mother very much. In Motu Patlu in Double Trouble, he consented to his arranged marriage immediately after seeing his mother cry.
Chingum carries a pistol for any emergency, and armed havildars to assist him. When he shoots up many coconuts starts to fall down which is supposed to make his enemies to but many times it will fall in Inspector Chingum's head. However, Chingum has begun to take advantage of these coconuts, and can quickly open them up for people to drink.
Chingum also carries a gun with him at all times. However, Chingum has only used said gun to intimidate criminals, or to summon coconuts. In Furfuri Nagar he has a revolver. In Modern City also he uses revolver but in later episodes he has a pistol In New Modern City and during the series' Europe Tour arc, he uses a pistol.
In Furfuri Nagar, he lives in a good house with his Parents
When Furfuri Nagar gets transformed into New Modern City he owns a good house.
When they shift to New Modern City he buys a flat in Furfuri Apartment and lives in it.
During their tour to Europe, they stayed at hotels.
During Indian tour
At Agra - At Jhatka's Sister Mamata's home
At Kerala - His Parents house
Rest all he stay at Hotels.
Furfuri Nagar - A good but small Police station
New Furfuri Nagar - A very good police station
New Modern City - A redesigned Police station
When he shoots coconuts with his pistol, they often fall on his head knocking him unconscious. He cannot usually catch criminals by himself and is often very dependent on the help of Motu and Patlu.
- "The name is Chingum, Inspector Chingum! Chingum ke Changul se bachna yampossible/yampossibola, bole to yampossible/yampossibola!" (The name is Chingum, Inspector Chingum! It is impossible to escape from Chingum's plan (sometimes 'web'), impossible!) (In the newer redesign of Motu Patlu, yampossible is changed to yampossibola and he says this quote much faster.)
- "Why/Never fear, when Chingum is here!"
- "Stop! Stop in the name of law! Tume qanoon ki kasam, bharat maata ki kasam!" (Stop, Stop in the name of law! Stop on the behalf of the law, on the behalf of Mother India!
- "Amma! Abba! Idli! Dosa!" (Mom!, Dad!, Idli!, Dosa!)
- Aaee Amma! (Oh mummy!)
- Mard ko dar nahin hota (A man does not feel pain! (Chingum says this in public))
- Hota hai, mard ko bhi dard hota hai(A man also feels pain, Chingum says this to himself usually after hiding behind something so others cannot hear him)
- "You are under arrest!"
- "Varna main tumhe jail main daal doon ga!" (Or I will imprison you!)
- The Name is chingum, Inspector Chingum! Intha chingathoda kurilarunthu thapikirathu avalavu sulabam illa athaavathu inpossible
- Why Fear? When chingum is here
- Ai yamma
- Stop! Stop in the name of law Sattathin meethu aanai! Bhaaratha naatin meethu aanai
- He can shoot coconuts from anywhere, even Antarctica and the moon.
- It is implied in the episode, Chamatkari Chashma. that the coconuts Chingum summons by firing his gun originate from beyond the Earth, explaining how Chingum can summon coconuts anywhere.
- His phone number is 346 and 506.
- His pajamas are white with coconuts plastered all over them.
- Chingum considers Indira Gandhi, Swami Vivekananda, and Michael Jackson as great leaders.
- Chingum often tells Hera to try to learn English better.
- According to an article by AnimationXpress, Chingum was inspired by Indian actor Rajinikanth.
- He mentioned doing a lot of sky diving as part of his police training in the episode Time Pass.
- Chingum is known to be the hero of India and is known to be great but born a little bit late by Hera and Peri.
- It is impossible to escape from Chingum's web, as remarked by Chingum. However, there are exceptions to this.
- He is named Lucky in the Sinhalese dub.
- Chingum inherited the art of fainting from his mother as revealed in "Bhukkaad Patlu".
Name in Other Languages