The mind does not function on an empty stomach.
Motu (Hindi: मोटू) is one of the two titular characters of Motu Patlu. He is the main protagonist of the series who loves samosas. He is voiced by Saurav Chakraborty. Motu is voiced by Ben Bledsoe in the English dubbed episodes and EMS Murali & Sebastian in Tamil.
Motu has a habit of calling people Bare/Boro Bhaiya (Big brother, in English).
He has a great addiction of samosas when he smells them, he gets attracted to it. He can eat hundreds of samosas. He usually dreams about samosas or him eating a mountain of them. He also wants to do social work but mostly lands in trouble with his best friend, Patlu.
Even though he is not skilled in any job, he still tries to do jobs like Constable, Ward Boy, Cleaner, Delivery Boy but brings trouble to the company/organization where he is working and gets fired. He sometimes even makes his own businesses, mostly with Patlu, Dr. Jhatka, and Ghasitaram, but these too fail, mainly due to Motu's foolishness. However, due to his strength, power, and will to fight evil, he often defends his town against enemies, which is why he is considered to be the biggest enemy of burglars in Furfuri Nagar.
As he doesn't own any job, the money he owns is probably from the rewards he gains from the government, usually due to the commendation of the police or the Mayor and the small amount of money he can make from his businesses and jobs.
He was touring European countries such as Italy, France, UK, Switzerland, Germany, Russia, Albania, etc...
Nowadays he is Touring All over India. He is shown in Taj Mahal, Gateway of India, Tea estates of Assam, Kerala Backwaters, Hawa Mahal, Qutub Minar, Victoria Memorial, etc...
He is a short, fat man in his 30's-40's. He wears a red tunic under a black vest. He is balding around the head area but has hair around the ears. He has a rather kempt mustache. In Furfuri Nagar, he had kept a mustache that had gaps between them. Motu's pajamas are red and white with samosas plastered all over them. When he shifted his home to Modern City, his clothing remains as his signature red tunic and vest, which is now a lighter shade of blue in the redesign. In Europe Tour & Indian Tour his dressing remain the same.
Unlike Patlu, who is quite humble, Motu is very hot-headed. He dreams of fame, fortune, and lots of samosas. His body automatically rushes towards it, and is so attracted to them, that if he smells it his body will force itself in the direction of them. He is also very impatient and a lot of times the gang falls in trouble because of his impatience. Motu is selfish as he goes after many things without knowing them properly. Motu is a plump man. Due to his lack of intelligence, he is the brawn of the gang. Motu is also lazy when it comes to housework, shoving the duties to Patlu, and getting annoyed when Patlu tells him to do the work sometime. It is shown in some episodes and movies that Motu has a habit of sleepwalking and often ends up punching objects or people, including Patlu. He believes in horoscopes whereas Patlu and other friends doesn't believe in horoscopes.
Friends and Enemies
Patlu is Motu's best friend. The main show concentrates on their adventures together. However, Motu can be a bit careless with Patlu as he has invaded Patlu's personal space many times in the show, and has unintentionally thrown Patlu into not-so-ideal situations. Despite all this, Motu and Patlu still deeply care for one another.
John is Motu's enemy. This is the show's main antagonist. John likes making fun of Motu and Patlu, along with his goons No. 1 and No. 2. However, when the characters aren't in a conflict with each other and/or scheming against the other, they approach each other quite civilly and are seen at the Tea Stall without being in a conflict.
Chotu is Motu's nephew, and calls him Motu Mamu (uncle). Munni is his mother. Chotu and Motu are very close. Motu is always delighted to see Chotu and vise versa. Munni has commented on their similarities. Chotu loves his uncle to the point where he had his mother make samosas for the both of them. He also cried when his uncle was frozen up.
Boxer is Motu's frenemy (friend and enemy). When Motu wishes for something good to Boxer, he simply punches him and says Yeh le! (Take this!).
Motu has been shown to be on good terms with Munni. Motu is often allowed to take care of Chotu and his pets and Munni served him Samosas.
Due to his natural build, Motu is naturally strong and is the strongest in his friends (except Boxer). After consuming Samosas, his favorite food; his speed, strength, vision, and intelligence are enhanced, allowing him to lift boulders and vehicles. He can also achieve said powers by just having the desire to get to his samosas, or if he is at a state of significant panic. He can also beat down multiple opponents at once, and even a person as strong as Boxer is easily beaten by him. As a child, he was able to walk 5 kilometers (3.106 miles) to Dr. Mohan Sinha's lab, as seen in Motu Patlu in Alien World. In Motu Patlu in the City of Gold, Motu was shown to know how to use a sword in combat. In Motu Patlu in the Game of Zones, Motu was seen to be strong enough to straighten the Leaning Tower of Pisa.
- When he hasn't eaten samosas, he easily loses to strong enemies.
- He cannot think on an empty stomach.
- He is not clever and can be fooled by people.
- Motu often develops major obsessions and addictions with samosas. In the episode Samosaaaaaaaa, while Motu was under the influence of some medicine, he thought Dr. Jhatka was a samosa and tried to eat him.
In Furfuri Nagar, he lives in a simple house which is firstly for rent but after some time they purchase the house from their house owner.
When Furfuri Nagar gets transformed into New Modern City he owns a good house
When they shift to New Modern City he buys a flat in Furfuri Apartment and lives in it.
During their tour to Europe, they stayed at hotels.
At Agra - At Jhatka's Sister Mamata's home
At Kerala - Chingum's Parents house
Rest all they stay at Hotels.
- His design is a parallel version of Dr. Jhatka's.
- Motu knows how to sing. In a video where Motu is shown to do the "#SAFECHALLENGE", Motu sings about samosas.
- In the Motu Patlu comics, Motu and Patlu are stated to be brothers.
- In the episode "Rupiya Dus Karod", Motu's uncle Kuber Singh, who has not met him in 30 years, seems to know Patlu well, telling that they were friends since childhood.
- In Salim Robot, Motu’s weight is shown as being 80 kilograms (176 pounds), and his height is 5’03. In the later episode Wajan however, his weight changed to him weighing much more than 120 kilograms to the point of causing the weighing scale to malfunction. The weight machine in the episode "Weight Machine" also malfunctioned due to Motu's weight.
- Motu has been ridiculed about his weight many times. This usually starts after any type of weight measuring machine ends up malfunctioning due to his weight.
- He got his famous catchphrase from his grandfather, as he said at the beginning of the first episode.
- He is named Matin in the Sinhalese dub.
- In the Motu Patlu social media site, he was born on 31, February, which is impossible on the Gregorian Calendar as February only has 28 days or 29 days during a leap year. However, it is possible that it was using another calendar, or that Motu put in a false birthdate.
- However, this is contradictory because, in Motu ka Birthday, it is shown that he was born on 16th October.
- In Motu ka Birthday, Motu’s birthday was on a Monday on the 16th of October 2013 in the show. In real life, however, that date took place on a Wednesday, not a Monday. Motu’s age was also never revealed in this episode.
- According to Motu's Fakebook page, he also studied at Furfuriya University.
- He owns an iPhone X. It can be occasionally seen in the newer episodes.
- With the intelligence chip that makes an appearance in Intelligent Motu, Motu is shown to speak English more fluently. However, Motu generally speaks Hindi, or Hinglish.
- Motu's name is often incorrectly spelled as "Moto", this is most likely because the letter "O" is near the letter "U" in the QWERTY keyboard.
- Motu's eyes are shown to be either brown or black.
- Motu can be usually beaten by Boxer, however if he eats samosas, or is accompanied with one of Dr. Jhatka's stronger inventions, he can beat him.
- Motu is capable of handwalking, and can do it with relative ease.
- Motu is very emotional and always cries whenever someone cries in front of him
- According to episode Motu the Gladiator, he was before born as Maximus, a Gladiator in Rome.
- Motu likes Kala-Khatta (a flavour made by adding some lemon juice and spices in Indian blackberry juice to give a sweet and tangy taste with a spicy twist) flavour barf ka gola (Indian version of snow popsicle) as he said in Motu Patlu: The Invisible Plane
- "Nahiiiiiiiiin!" ("Nooooo!")
- (To Patlu) "Khaali pait mere dimaag ki batti nahi chalti tum he kuch karo!" ("You do something, I cannot think while having an empty stomach!")
- (To patlu) chalo samose kahte hai ("Come,lets eat samoses")
- Vaasanaaaaa (Smell!)
- Illllaaaaaaa ( Noooooo!)
- Vairu Kaaliyaa irukumpothu ennoda moolha vela seiyaathu ("I cannot think while having an empty stomach!")
- To Jhatka -
- 1st Dub - Poosanikka Mandaiyaa (Pumpkin Head)
- 2nd Dub - Scientistuu (Scientist)
- 3rd Dub - Periya Anne (Big Brother)
Name in Other Languages